Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Adventures on ridiculous mid-winter break

     
As a southerner, the idea of a mid-winter break in February for a week sounds ridiculous. Really, it is. I totally get that kids and parents need a break from school and agree. I just don't agree with a whole week! Luckily, I am a part-time WAHM right now and get to spend breaks with them. I do truly enjoy it, but it's exhausting and I need breaks!
     Today, my friend, L and I planned a fun adventure to Liberty Science Center in NJ. Quite the schlepp from Brooklyn. It's not far, but it would take three trains to get there. Together, we each had a backpack and four kids ranging from 5-9. I cannot even tell you how many snacks we packed and were consumed. Guess what, as L pointed out later in the day, we received NO dirty/disapproving looks on the trains. 
     The day was gorgeous and the kids played outside after our second train landed us in NJ. One reason L and I get along so well is that our kids were playing on parked citibikes for about 20 minutes and we were both good with it. They needed to PLAY. 
     We decided to hang out in the park area and eat lunch. Of course, someone had to pee. You can figure out where he went. We arrived at the Liberty Science Center and were pleasantly surprised at the lack of crowds! The kids were SUPER excited to try out controlling a robot and climbing in a super cool structure. We watched a movie and were the only ones in the theater. When was the last time that happened!?
     Dinner at Chipotle happened and the kids started getting feisty (RE: touchy with their siblings). It was time to go! I shut down the snack bar and L was tapped out of food.  
     It took all the way until the subway for us to get disapproved looks. Honestly, the children sat away from their siblings and were not screaming or touching others. They were very goofy including Max (8.5) saying to KK and M: Truth or dare? KK: I have awesome hair! Most of our fellow passengers laughed at KK trying to pole dance or M trying to hide in his shirt. The lady who scowled at us had an epic stare and dirty look. I could learn from her! Our kids were oblivious to her dirty looks, but L and I noticed. Thank goodness home was near. L and I called it a success.      


No comments: