Thursday, April 16, 2009

Max's fourth week

From Max's fourth week
click to view more

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before or not, but I'm calling motherhood wonderfully overwhelming!  Last week Max was sleeping horribly and I was getting little or no sleep. I called my mom and asked her to return. Thank goodness she's semi-retired!  She came back this Tuesday and is staying until next Thursday.  I take him at night and she lets me sleep in the mornings.  I feel so much better and more rested!  

Aunt Carol and Uncle Mike (mom's sister and brother-in-law) came in last week and shared in some Max time, which also allowed me to sleep some!  yah!  They are back this week to see mom and eat delicious New Haven pizza.  In-between their visits, Laura came!  I picked her up last Saturday in Hartford while Lou had Max in White Plains seeing his mom.  While I enjoyed my time away from him, I felt torn--I should want to be with him all the time?!  Ridiculous.  I still need me time and Lou and I need time together also.  So many mommies forgo and forget about themselves, which I can see is very easy.  It's hard, but I'm finding my way through!

Tuesday night is book club and I'm going without Max and not feeling guilty.  I didn't even read the book!  I just need time away!  Since Max is having problems sleeping and going back to sleep, I've invested in all kinds of books I devour in the wee hours of the morning.  

This is sounding a bit negative.  Don't get me wrong, I love being a mommy, but there's no time off or time to just sit and listen to the silence.  Max is an absolute joy and I'm so happy we decided it was time to have a baby.  He's starting to smile and is about to outgrow the newborn diapers!  He's already outgrown newborn clothes!  It's amazing how much he changes.  

Watching Lou with Max is such fun.  I knew he would be a great dad, but I didn't know how fabulous!  Max loves it when his daddy walks in the door (as do I!).  It's so fun to watch him bond with Max like no other.  I just didn't know how incredible it would be to watch other people with him and love him!

Thanks for all the well wishes and sleepy thoughts.  
Love,
Shelley (and Lou and Max)  

No comments: